In April 2005, I attended a training session at Asus's US headquarter at Fremont California for white-book build-your-own (BYO) laptops. I shot some pictures of the entire process to show you how easy it is. Even I can do it!
Step 1. Place CPU
(1) Asus laptop barebone and parts - starting materials
(2) Remove laptop CPU compartment cover
(3) Remove the laptop heatsink
(4) Removing laptop heatsink
(5) Heatsink and fan removed
(6) Mount CPU
(7) Tighten up CPU
(8) Heatsink and fan put backon
(9) CPU compartment cover back on
Step 2. Place Memory and Wireless Board
(10) Remove screws for the memory compartment
(11) Open cover for laptop memory compartment
(12) Insert memory to memory slot in notebook computer
(13) Memory inserted into the slot
(14) Ready to insert the wireless connection
(15) Connecting the wires to the wireless board
(16) Wirelessboard in place
Step 3. Place Hard Drive
(17) Unscrew the cover for the hard drive apartment
(18) Mount hard drive to laptop HD bracket holder
(19) Screw HD to bracket
(20) Mount harddrive into place
(21) Put cover back on
Step 4. Power on and Load Software (omitted)
(22) Open accessory box to retrieve battery
(23) Mount battery
(24) Battery in place
(25) Now ready to turn on laptop computer
The software loading procedure was omitted by using a hard drive with an already copied image.
Step 5. Configure, Test, and Start to Use!
(26) Bingo! The laptop was built, powered on, and ready to use. It worked on the very first boot. The whole process took 30 minutes or less. If I didn't need to take the pictures and on my second try, it may take only 15 minutes.
(27) Final task: place the Asus logo
Nice thing about this program was that I got to buy this laptop I built at a very discounted price!
Comments on this blog? Send it to information @ directron.com
Have a question about our products, services or technical issues? Find the answer instantly! Type your question or key words in English. NOTE: 95% email/ phone questions already have answers on our web site.